[PARPORT] SparQ problems

Ximenes Rocha Resende (ximenes@cv-2-8.campusview.indiana.edu)
Tue, 12 May 1998 12:21:28 +0000 (UTC)

> The next question is: are you compiling an SMP kernel ? PARIDE is
> currently broken on SMP (I think it's fixed - but the patches aren't
> quite ready for Linus yet).

> Grant R. Guenther grant@torque.net

No, I commented out the line in the linux source (in Makefile) that set SMP.
Then I compiled 2.1.98.
By the way, I changing my CMOS settings and now I am using EPP. But the situa
tion didn't improve. I was thinking about what you said, that maybe my sys
tem's memory was low... I did the following experience:

- Booted my system and run "top q" under X.
- Mounted my SparQ and copied a huge directory from my HD to it: /usr/X11R6
  (app. 23 Mb). As the files were copied I kept watching how much free memory
  the system had. A very abrupt jump happened: from 44M to 20M, at which value
  the system hung.

This happens for both linux-2.0.32 (Paride 0.94) and linux-2.1.98. Do you think
it might be related to memory leak in the kernel (block_write -> getblk) ?
Again, just guessing...