Re: [PARPORT] two comments

Chip Mefford (cmefford@video.avwashington.com)
Sat, 16 May 1998 22:09:03 -0400 (EDT)

> 2. The linuxers-of-the-world are suffuciently numerous today to exercise
> more influence on manufacturers of peripherals. When a tape machine or
> CDR or anything is manufactured, and the manufacturer rovides a driver
> for microsoft systems, and pointedly neglects to provide drivers for
> Linux/Unix and other systems, it can be argued that the manufacturer is a
> willing partner in the microsoft conspiracy. Hewlett-Packard is a good
> example, but there are many others. Question: How in the world can we
> go about the job of exercising influence on thie situation? Think of the
> amount of time and trouble we could save ourselves!

Its pretty simple really

Strongly support those vendors that are Linux friendly, and write
the ones that are not email, regular mail, faxes, whatever something to
the effect of,

"Neat idea,
But i ain't interested, I am buying
xxxxxxx because they support Linux and
you do not."
PS
I am an admin and am responsible for
thousands and thousands of machines, so
my buying recomendations actually mean something,
also this means I am in constant contact with
other admin types that are also in a similar
seat of responsibility, and I recommend to them
to not buy your product, but rather buy xxxxxxxx
instead because they support the Operating System
of Choice, and you do not.

have a nice day
admin@linux&onlylinux.org