Re: [PARPORT] Copying to Syquest problem

grant@torque.net
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:30:46 -0400 (EDT)

> 500KB? that would be great... I've only maxed at about 220KBytes/sec. To
> get the fastest throughput, you must have to use mode 4, right?

Mode 5, actually.

> If I don't specify the mode, the pd driver loads, using mode 2. Setting the
> delay to zero doubled my throughput, but if I can double it again, that would
> be great. My machine is a fairly old laptop, so am I stuck at mode 2? How
> can I find out?

Do you have any BIOS settings related to the port, or a SCU program, perhaps ?
If EPP is available, it will have to be enabled at the firmware level.

> My setup:
> Compaq LTE Elite 4/50cx (486 dx50)

Ahh ... an oldie. Machines of that vintage seldom had bidirectional ports,
let alone EPP. You are probably getting the best you can out of it now.

> BTW: if the advertized transfer rate of the parallel port EzFlyer is
> 1.2MB/sec, why is 500KB the maximum achieved throughput under linux?

There is also an ECP mode, which can achieve higher rates under some
circumstances - but we don't currently support it. Also, those numbers
are "marketing" numbers and represent idealised measurements.