Re: [PARPORT] Philips [portable] DCC175-recorder

grant@torque.net
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 09:03:35 -0400 (EDT)

> While cleaning up my desk I hit an old Philips DCC 175 - recorder which
> should be usable as a backup drive; has someone been able to use this little
> thing under Linux?

Some work was done on it a couple of years ago, but the outcome was not
successful.

> Something I'm missing or will I have to hack a driver myself?

I suspect that it is a much larger project than you imagine.

Not only is there the parallel port protocol to decode, but you must also
work out the tape commands. Unless I'm confused, this beast uses none
of the standard tape mechanisms: SCSI, ATAPI, or floppy-tape.