Re: [PARPORT] BackPack Cdrom Woes

grant@torque.net
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 22:02:37 -0400 (EDT)

> > > The version i am running of PARIDE is v1.03 ...and below is the
> > > output from the insmod/modprobe with verbose flag active
> > >
> > > modprobe pcd verbose=1 drive0=0x378,0
> > > parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [SPP,ECP,ECPPS2]
> >
> > Please investigate the CMOS settings for your parallel port. If possible,
> > change the port to "EPP" mode.
>
> Hurmmm, this can be either changed to uni-directioanl (spp if memory serves
> me right)or bi-directional (which lists at ecp) tried both, but still no joy.

Please get natsemi.tgz from ftp.torque.net/pub. Dave Campbell wrote the
program in that file - it should set your port in EPP mode. If I recall
correctly, you just compile the program and run it as root.

> What _is_ strange, is the exact (and I mean _exact_) same configuration works
> for the sparq and laser printer. Can this be an undisclosed communication
> event on behalf of the bantam cdrom ?

That _is_ curious. What mode does the epat driver use with the SparQ ?

> just for the record, I can mount the drive under dosemu (97.10), but this
> doesnt allow me to redirect new dos drives to linux (vice versa certianly).

Good. If all else fails, I'll get you to do some i/o traces for me.

> to the parallel chip (if i am reading the bantam backpack testport utility's
> output correctly :)

No, that's not what those numbers mean :-(

> > > pcd: pcd version 1.03, major 46, nice 0
> > > pcd0: 0x378 is parport0
> > > pcd0: bpck: 0x378 unit 46 mode 0:
> > 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 31
>
> *grimace* hurmm....it doesnt. even when set to spp mode. what would the pcd
> (using bpck protocol) trythat the pd (using epat) wouldnt (other than the
> obv. disk geometry stuff). Anything ?

I've forgotten, did I ask you to see what happens if you force the port
delay to 4 ? Please try this and let me know.

> > (That's the last two digits of its serial number.) 46 is also the
> > major device number for the pcd driver - there's no relationship
> > between them.
>
> oohh...i thought there was, Okay. If you want i can try and get information
> out of MicroSolutions about this??

There's no mystery here - the MSI unit number is used to distinguish multiple
backpack drives on the same port. It has nothing to do with the Unix device
number. You can put it back to the original number and it won't make the
slightest difference to bpck.