Re: [PARPORT] ping .... (please confirm that the silence is caused by the summer)

grant@torque.net
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:18:13 -0400 (EDT)

> Please confirm that the silence in the list (as observed by me
> (most recently received message was sent 1998-07-13))
> is caused by the summer and not by tecnical reasons.

You were removed from the mailing list when your mail server (pobox.se)
became unreachable, or began rejecting your mail (I don't remember which).

I'll take this opportunity to point out a couple of things to everybody:

(1) It is not good behaviour to post to a list to test if you are
        on it. All majordomo servers support the "which" command.

        echo "which <yourusername>" | mail majordomo@torque.net

(2) "Free" e-mail services like pobox, globecomm, hotmail, etc.
        are notoriously unreliable. If you receive your list mail
        through one of them, expect to be removed from the list.
        Globecomm (under all its many disguises) is the worst. They
        will regularly reject all mail with "user unknown".

(3) If you have your own domain, and do not regularly check that
        your backup MX servers work, expect to be removed. Most people
        who implement anti-relay filters forget to implement the
        exceptions for people they have agreed to be MX for. (It's not
        surprising, in the past there was nothing to do to be an MX.)

(4) I automatically remove someone from the list if I receive a
        "user unknown" error, a relay failure, or if the host is
        unreachable for several days. Incomprehensible errors from
        badly designed gateways are also grounds for removal.

> Q1: Is someone today using a kind of betatest version of 2.2 or 3.0
> or is the main work still going on on 2.1 ?

2.1 _is_ the betatest for 2.2, that's the whole point.

> Q2: Does it seem to be correct to assume that you usually can replace
> 2.0 kernel with a 2.1 or 2.2 kernel without incompatibility against
> installed dynamically linked (shared) libraries and applications?

Check out http://www.linuxhq.com/21-index.html

This is beyond the scope of this list.