Re: [PARPORT] /dev/pg0 and 2.0.x?

grant@torque.net
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 07:08:52 -0400 (EDT)

> I just got burner that works fine as a CD-ROM in 2.0.x on /dev/pcd0,
> but when I try to mount /dev/pg0 (which wasn't there earlier, but is now
> after "mknod /dev/pg0 b 97 0"), I get this:
>
> [> [root@localhost /root]# mount /dev/pg0 /mnt/cdrom
> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/pg0 as a block device
>
> The same thing happens for pg[1-3]. Which is kinda stupid since "cat
> /proc/devices" shows "97 pg" on the last line.

But read /proc/devices and that error message again. /dev/pg0 is a
character device.

You see, a CD-R is much more like a tape drive than a disk. It is not
a random access device, and does not support traditional filesystems.
(I'm not talking about the CD-ROM functions of the drive, just the CD-R
aspect).

You cannot mount a CD-R like a floppy and write files to it. This is
true in any operating system - not just Linux.

All the documentation for the pg driver explains that, at this time, the
only way to use it is via Joerg Schilling's cdrecord program. Visit

        http://www.torque.net/parport/cdr.html

for more information.

> Is /dev/pg0 just not supported in 2.0.x? If so, this is a Bad Thing(TM)

No, you just need to read the documentation. :-(

Now, perhaps you have a CD-RW device and you've been using Adaptec's
"DirectCD". As I understand it, DirectCD is an implementation of the
"UDF" filesystem. There is currently no UDF implementation in Linux,
although I believe Andrew Mileski is organising a UDF project. Andrew's
a little busy these days, so I'm not sure how much time that's getting.

> I was planning on ditching my x86 box and and getting a Netwinder

How ironic. That's the very Lilith that has consumed Andrew's soul :-)
(Andrew is one of the developers at Corel Computer ...) By the way,
I know that Corel has checked that PARIDE works with the Netwinder,
although how much testing it has received is not clear.