[PARPORT] Re: L68K: Amiga-Parport-driver

Philip Blundell (pb@nexus.co.uk)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:39:47 +0100

>I currently spent my holidays doing a parport driver for the Amiga
>built-in port. Based on that, the other existing m68k-printer-driver
>should be easily adapted to support at least printing.

Good work.

>dot-matrix-printer and a HP DeskJet 660C). The main problem was (is) that
>the current parport is very PC-oriented when it comes to the hardware.

That's fair criticism. There are several ways it could be cleaned up. I
think things are arranged now so that it *can* be made to work on any type of
port, but I agree it's a bit painful if your hardware is totally unlike the
8255.

>+#if !defined(__sparc__) && !defined(__mc68000__)

I wonder if there's any reason not to remove this #if altogether. We
shouldn't do it for 2.2 now just in case it does break something, but it would
be worth thinking about soon afterwards.

>+ /* Replace cli()/sti() by
>+ cli()/restore_flags.
>+ It's a must for other architectures
>+ and doesn't break i386 */
>+ save_flags(flags);

Good point. That change probably could go in for 2.2 actually.

>+ if (control & 0x10) /* XXX: What is INTEN? */

That doesn't really belong in the control register; it's the interrupt enable.

>+ if (control & 0x08) /* XXX: What is SELECP? */

Just an output pin on the port.

>+ /* What's this for? */

Select port mode (SPP, EPP, ECP, ...)

>+static int amiga_examine_irq(struct parport *p)
>+{
>+ return 0; /* XXX Not possible */
>+}

Really? That may upset some code. Surely there must be some way to find if
the port is generating an interrupt.

p.