Re: [PARPORT] parport scanners?

grant@torque.net
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:54:57 -0400 (EDT)

> >4) What is the best parport device driver to copy, when doing the
> >scanner driver?
>
> I have a suspicion that these scanners may well be using parallel-to-SCSI
> adaptors like many disk products do. In which case you might find that one of
> Grant's many drivers is the best place to start, or maybe one of them will
> already work.

Here's the scoop from my end: to date I know of only one scanner where we
have a hope: the Microtek V310. This device uses the OnSpec 90c26 as a
Parallel Port SCSI adapter. I don't have a working driver for the 90c26
(as a SCSI adapter) yet, but I am actually working on it when I can.

Dave Campbell and I are also working on a redesign of the parallel port
SCSI adapter framework. That work should result in better support for
tape drives, scanners, and other "slow" devices.

I'm planning to get a V310. (It's usually a good indicator if I go
out and buy some hardware - it means that I think I understand something
well enough to be able to do the driver ;-) ).