Re: [PARPORT] parport scanners?

grant@torque.net
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 16:05:04 -0400 (EDT)

> grant@torque.net wrote:
> > Here's the scoop from my end: to date I know of only one scanner where we
> > have a hope: the Microtek V310. This device uses the OnSpec 90c26 as a
> > Parallel Port SCSI adapter. I don't have a working driver for the 90c26
> > (as a SCSI adapter) yet, but I am actually working on it when I can.
>
> Where is there only one scanner we have a hope of supporting?
> Or, do you mean that the V310 is the only we that can be easily
> supported?

I'm sorry, but I can't tell if you are scolding my use of the word
"where" in that sentence, or whether you have a genuine question.

If the manufacturers refuse to release programming information, our
only recourse is to reverse engineering. We've been reasonably
successful with parallel port IDE devices and some SCSI adapters, but
not (so far) with scanners.

Part of the reason for this is that many of these scanners use
totally proprietary protocols - they are not SCSI scanners with
a PP adapter. Cracking such protocols is difficult if the only
way to stimulate it is with a Win95 GUI.

It happens that the Microtek device is known to be a SCSI device with
an integral adapter, and that adapter is separately available - complete
with DOS drivers (so traces can be collected and analysed).

There may be other devices with this architecture, but I'm not aware
of them.