Re: [PARPORT] parport scanners?

Jonathan Buzzard (jab@hex.prestel.co.uk)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:06:00 +0100

philb@gnu.org said:
> I have a suspicion that these scanners may well be using
> parallel-to-SCSI adaptors like many disk products do. In which case
> you might find that one of Grant's many drivers is the best place to
> start, or maybe one of them will already work.

Some are, but I think most are using propriotary protocols. The reason
is they can make more effecient use of the limited bandwidth on the
parallel port to shift the 24Mb of data for a 24bit colour scan of an
A4 page of the scanner at 300dpi.

To be honest, if you plan more than occasionaly use you are better off getting
a SCSI solution (or possibly a USB one if support becomes avaliable under
Linux).

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jab@hex.prestel.co.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195