Re: [PARPORT] parport scanners?

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 16:19:26 -0400 (EDT)

Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> Some are, but I think most are using propriotary protocols. The reason
> is they can make more effecient use of the limited bandwidth on the
> parallel port to shift the 24Mb of data for a 24bit colour scan of an
> A4 page of the scanner at 300dpi.
>
> To be honest, if you plan more than occasionaly use you are better off getting
> a SCSI solution (or possibly a USB one if support becomes avaliable under
> Linux).

Proprietary, yuck. :)

These things are incredibly cheap, and my office just happens to have
some; I figured I would do the Linux public a favor and see what I can
whip up... :)

I work in the medical imaging industry, so we definitely have better,
SCSI scanners available. But since my boss wants to eval all options
for in-the-field scanners, getting a Linux driver along with it wouldn't
be too bad.

        Jeff