Re: [PARPORT] ZIP - bad partition?

grant@torque.net
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 08:50:06 -0400 (EDT)

> I was wondering if it could be the parallel port. The box I'm trying
> get the zip to work with is an old 486/sx 25MHz.

Argh ! That'll probably have an SPP port that needs about 4 us settling
time. Check Dave's web pages at http://www.torque.net/~campbell to
see how to increase the port-settling delay.

> I put Slackware on my laptop and it accessed the zip drive fine.

I believe you had my old 0.26 driver in that distribution. It was
developed on a 486/33 !

> The ppa I'm using is the one in kernel 2.0.35. Do you think this could
> be corrected by changing the defaults used by ppa? Since this is
> compiled into my current kernel I'm assuming I'd have to recompile
> ppa and rebuild the kernel correct?

I'm sure there's a way to take care of this on the kernel boot command
line.