Re: [PARPORT] Can Linux be installed on PP SparQ?

Rick Campbell (rick@campbellcentral.org)
Mon, 05 Oct 1998 06:41:52 -0400

    Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:11:41 -0700 (PDT)
    From: root <root@ufo.westsound.com>

    My best estimate is the parport Sparq is about 20% as fast as my SCSI
    drives. And yes, I had problems with data integrity while the Sparq was
    configured in 32bit mode while in linux, although no apparent data
    integrity problems while using DOS as my OS.

    It price and media removability are attractive, but I'm still reading to
    determin whether it is the Sparq itself or the chipset on my parport that
    was responsible for the data integrity errors.

For what it's worth, the problem may be more with the parallel
interface (either hardware or software) than with the drive itself. I
have a parallel and an internal. The internal seems to be roughly as
fast as my primary disk and I haven't ever noticed a data integrity
problem with it.

                        Rick