[PARPORT] Re: "Multia with HP CD-R seg-faults"

David Campbell (campbell@torque.net)
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 07:37:35 +0800

From: xeno@clark.net
Date sent: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 14:38:16 -0400 (EDT)

> This made me think that maybe, just maybe, the parallel port was to
> blame. Diligent net search showed a lack of information about anything on
> the multia regarding parallel ports with the exception that they came
> equipped with them (duh). However, when running insmod pg I see that the
> port is identified as SPP and is running in mode 1.

"Alpha Multia" => Digital AXP box?
(I am more familiar with Digital model numbers than the code names,
eg: AlphaStation 500/333, Personal Workstation 500au)

All my Alphas in the office (three Digital machines) have a National
Semiconductor IO chipset which defaults to SPP at 0x3BC. This is important
as you should try to change the parallel port to EPP (0x278 or 0x378 base
address) as it will be impossible to cut a CD with SPP, it is just too slow.

If the mainboard does use a NatSemi IO chipset (both Alpha models from
Digital I have dealt with do), let me know. I will then have good incentive to
get the chipset specific parport code done (been waiting for the Linux 2.2.x
kernel roll over).

> I've tried setting the delay to 0 on pg and using a speed of 0 when
> writing, and I still get segfaults. Note that I can mount the device with
> pcd when I need to, and read from it just fine.

As said before, SPP is fine for reading but is too slow to keep up with the
drive when writing.

David Campbell
campbell@torque.net

Current project list:
a) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers
b) Create Linux chipset specific parport drivers
c) Start on ParSCSI drivers

Any assistance to clearing this list most welcome