Re: [PARPORT] SparQ 1GB

grant@torque.net
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 06:52:20 -0400 (EDT)

> I ran fsck on /dev/pda1 and it reported errors and proceeded to fix them,

fsck fixed the metadata errors. It doesn't attempt to access data blocks.
If there's a bad block in a data area, it won't help.

> I then did another copy and same thing happened again. How can I make
> sure a cart has no errors?

Perhaps SyQuest has a low-level format utility ? Otherwise, replace the
cartridge.

> PS. It was formatted as DOS previously, could this be related? The
> cart works fine under SyQuest software in Win98 and mounted as type
> msdos under linux!

Although it is possible that you have found an ext2 problem, it seems
unlikely to me. Much more likely is that you've only hit that particular
section of the disk when you used it in this way. The UNC error is
detected and reported by the disk firmware, it is not related to
any host software.