Re: [PARPORT] Multiple archives on ATAPI tape?

grant@torque.net
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 07:03:02 -0500 (EST)

> Is there any way to get multiple archives on a single tape? I took a
> look at the pt.c code and it seems like the only thing supported for the
> mt command is rewind. Would I have any better luck using ftape?

Ftape is for a different class of devices. It won't help you.

You can record multiple files on a pt tape already - use the /dev/npt?
devices. What is missing is the set of mtops that allow you to skip
around the tape. A volunteer did come forward to implement those
functions, but his work isn't ready yet.

In the meantime, you can skip over a tape file by reading it :-(

> Also, I couldn't get my tape drive to work with an old 486 but it works
> with a newer computer. I'm wondering if the parallel port on the 486
> is the culprit. Do I have to use a newer parallel port (ECP/EPP) for
> paride?

What you may find is that you need to increase the "port delay" to
get stable operation on your port. Send me the kernel log messages
that are generated when you attempt to load pt with verbose=1 on the 486.