Re: [PARPORT] Hp7200 Parport cdwriter SOLVED

John Carter (john@dwaf-hri.pwv.gov.za)
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 06:13:47 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 grant@torque.net wrote:

> Did you use one of my scripts to make the device nodes, or did you
> issue the mknod commands by hand ? Make sure that /dev/pg* are
> *character* devices (type c, not b). There was a typo in all but
> the most recent versions of pg.c that suggested that the nodes
> should be block devices (although the scripts have always been
> correct, I think).

Aha! Thank you! That was the glitch.

To be honest, I've be hacking at the problem for so long I can't
remember whether I created them by hand and if so where (if anywhere)
I got the info on its type. Maybe it was something as simple (and
stupid) as going "locate pg.c" and observing that it resides at
   /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/paride/pg.c

As they say, assumption is the mother of all stuff ups.

Thank you,

John Carter EMail: ece@dwaf-hri.pwv.gov.za
Telephone : 27-12-808-0374x194 Fax:- 27-12-808-0338
<http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/5947> or <http://iwqs.pwv.gov.za>

Suicide is the evolutionary force responsible for this current crop of
brain-dead unrealistically cheerful idiots.