Re: [PARPORT] Multiple archives on ATAPI tape?

grant@torque.net
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:56:54 -0500 (EST)

> In the mean time, I'm running into problems with the setup that I
> thought was working okay.
>
> Reads and writes of 10-20 MB of data look like they go okay. However,
> when I try to write a larger batch (300 MB or so), I get a "write DSC
> timeout".

This problem was fixed in version 1.03 of the pt driver. You can upgrade to
the pt.c from 2.0.36 or change the definition of PT_TMO to 3000. The
problem didn't happen wiht my original drive, but I think more recent
firmware is slower at ends of tracks.

> I have tried various delay settings up to 255 but I always get the same
> error. The BIOS setting for my parallel port is "EPP v1.9", so the
> "EPP-32" mode autodetected by pt seems okay.

Right idea, wrong parameter.

> pt0: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip c6 at 0x378, mode 5 (EPP-32), delay 1

Do force the delay to 0 if you can - it will speed things up.