[PARPORT] Re: Experiment ... parallel port settings on Toshiba 660CDTg

grant@torque.net
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 08:25:06 -0500 (EST)

> So you think that the error message
> "./cdrecord: Input/output error. start/stop unit: scsi sendcmd: retryable
> error"
> does not matter and
> "./cdrecord: fifo had 128 puts and 0 gets.
> ./cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%."
> means that it would have written the CD correctly? I just tried it in "dummy"
> mode. This evening I can try to burn a CD with this setting

Fixation usually messes up in dummy mode. The min fill 100% means that
you were able to keep up with the drive's buffers. But, it was a fairly
small write. Try a dummy run with a much larger image.

> "A:\>testport -bidir

It is interesting that this setting allows the delay=0 while using CMOS
to select bidirectional mode does not.

We will want a trace of this happening - that way you can have a simple
program to do the job rather than loading DOSemu to load testport ...

> insmod pg drive0=0x378,0,0,-1,-1,0 verbose=1"
> Do you think this correct?

I think so, but only further testing will tell for sure.

> In any case thanks a lot for all the time you spend in helping me!

I'd like you to repeat the EPP test again, however. Please power off
the external drive and disconnect it from your laptop for a few minutes,
and also reboot the laptop. Then, use testport to set -epp mode and
load pg with only the verbose=1 parameter. Don't bother trying
to run cdrecord in the experiment. If the "EPAT" log message does not
show a mode >= 3, then the port is not in EPP mode.