Re: [PARPORT] Re: IEEE 1284 development

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:00:18 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Nicolas Souchu wrote:

>Couldn't the IEEE1284.3 standard be implemented as a regular driver? It

Hmm, for the idea I have of IEEE1284.3 no, there are many issues for every
compliant pardevice (with irqs and other things). But I have not read it
in details and I have only an old draft of IEEE1284.3 to read so I could
be wrong here :(.

>would just share the port with others, at least with drivers that
>operate with the terminal peripheral of the daisy chain.

My point is exactly the daisy chain. Right now it' s the pardevice that
handle the switch considering all other devices as legacy devices. This
works fine because we do all in software and we don' t care at all about
IEEE or legacy devices. If you want to take advantage of the irq chaining
of IEEE1284.3 instead we should do something of more high level in parport
I think... This is a bit sad, since parport scheduling is perfect right
now and will instead need to change it. For IEEE1284 the change seems
right and good though. For 1284.3 it' s more tricky.

Andrea Arcangeli