[PARPORT] SparQ (epat) with bad blocks.

Troy Ablan (chaser@shore.net)
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 13:21:01 -0500 (EST)

Greetings,

I've watched this list for a while and haven't seen the issue of bad
blocks brought up, and was wondering if others have had the same issues.

Whenever the drive encounters a read error (short read), all further drive
activity fails and I get a slew of these on the screen and in
/var/log/messages:

kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 2d:01, sector 566717
kernel: pda: do_pd_read: status = 0x4051 = ERR SEEK READY UNC
last message repeated 5 times

I issue the following and it returns to normal:

umount /mnt/sparq ; rmmod pd ; insmod pd ; mount /dev/pda1 /mnt/sparq

I've resorted to formatting these in FAT and using scandisk to find and
mark the bad blocks.

Anyone have any suggestions or information about this?

Thanks.

Troy Ablan
chaser@shore.net
shore.net access services
support@shore.net
781-593-3110 x102
My Hours:           Monday night through
                    Friday night 11pm-7am.
shore.net Hours:    24 hours Mon 7am through Sat 5pm
                    excluding the following
                    in observance of the holidays:

12/24 5pm through 12/26 9am 12/31 5pm through 1/ 2 9am ****************************************************