Re: [PARPORT] Trouble installing PARIDE - Was: Re: ppuser

grant@torque.net
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:29:37 -0500 (EST)

> > (2) Not reading the documentation ? Please read the file
> > Documentation/paride.txt in your kernel source tree.
>
> Grant, i also had the lp problem when I tried to install mine last week,
> and you sent me on the right path to remove my lp driver. You mentioned
> that I should read paride.txt which contains this info, but it does not.
> It does not say anything about lp conflicting with pd.

Upon rereading the document, I have to agree that it is not obvious.
What is stated is that the parallel port sharing code is not available
in 2.0. Fortunately, 2.2 will be out soon - and this problem will
be history.

When I complain that people don't read the document, I am mainly referring
to the fact that I need to see the verbose=1 dmesg output, and to know
the distribution and kernel version before I can help.

I'm sorry if the tone of my responses is sometimes overly strident.