Re: [PARPORT] /dev/pg0 doesn't exist on RH after insmod pg

grant@torque.net
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 20:14:23 -0400 (EDT)

> After executing the following
> # insmod paride
> paride: version 1.02 installed
> # insmod epat
> paride: epat registered as protocol 0
> # insmod pg
> pg: pg version 1.02s, major 97
> pg0: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip c6 at 0x378, mode 0 (4-bit), delay 1
> pg0: HP CD-Writer+ 7100, slave
> # cdrecord speed=2 dev=0,0 -dummy /usr/local/img/file.bin
> Cdrecord release 1.6.1 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jörg Schilling
> scsidev: '0,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg0'.
>
> The pg modules evidentally loads fine and identifies my HP accurately,
> however, why don't I have a /dev/pg0?
> Sugestions appreciated.

You have more serious problems. You will not be able to make a CD
in mode 0. Please check the CMOS settings for your parallel port and
set it to "EPP" mode (do not select any mode mentioning "ECP"). If you
can't do that, try "bidirectional" or "PS/2" mode. Read the documentation
in Documentation/paride.txt or at http://www.torque.net/parport/paride.html
for information about the 'delay' setting and force it to zero if you
can.

If you haven't already created the /dev/pg0 device node - follow the
instructions to do that too ;-)

And, finally, if you have problems, please follow the directions and
send us some dmesg output when you load pg with verbose=1.