Re: [PARPORT] 2.0.36 printer works, but 2.2.6 no worky

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:43:44 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Tobias Stoeber wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Juha Sahakangas wrote:
>
> > If i echo text directly to the port, it doesn't do anything, if i try to
> > print with printcap / lpr, it complains something i can't remember right
> > now.
>
> I've experienced the same problem with kernel 2.2.6. Parport and lp
> support (and paride, ppa support) are compiled as modules.
>
> I could fix the problem by adding the following lines to
> /etc/conf.modules:
>
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

I don't think this is the same problem. Without the alias line in
conf.modules, I would expect you to get "Device not configured" when you
try this:

# echo > /dev/lp0

On the other hand, Juha's problem seems to be that there is no error
reported on the command line, just that the printer doesn't do anything.
In addition, it seems that Juha's print spooler configuration might have
something wrong, although without seeing the exact message it's hard to
say.

Juha, have I understood correctly?