Re: [PARPORT] 2.0.36 printer works, but 2.2.6 no worky

Juha Sahakangas (juhasa@main.edu.kauhajoki.fi)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:39:25 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Tobias Stoeber wrote:

> I've experienced the same problem with kernel 2.2.6. Parport and lp
> support (and paride, ppa support) are compiled as modules.

I've tried to compile them as modules as well as directly in kernel, no
success.

> I could fix the problem by adding the following lines to
> /etc/conf.modules:

> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> options parport_pc io=0x378,0x278 irq=7,auto

I have these.. doesn't work.. i also tried putting that irq-number instead
of auto, still doesn't work.

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=auto

> Using the command 'modprobe lp', you should get the following messages
> in /var/log/messages (or use the command 'dmesg' to display it):
>
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq=7 [SPP,ECP,ECPPS2]
> parport0: no IEEE-284 device present.
> lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

Right now it is compiled in to the kernel and dmesg shows the following:

parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [SPP,ECP,ECPPS2]
parport0: Unspecified, Unknown vendor Unknown device
lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

So it SHOULD work, but it doesn't. Help anyone?

Princap looks like this:

lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

> Well, it worked for me, maybe it works for you too.

Well, it doesn't, thanks anyway.