Re: [PARPORT] Re: patch-2.2.7-tmw3 and IEEE1284 modes

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 7 May 1999 19:15:47 +0100 (GMT)

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Thomas Sailer wrote:

> Basically because transactions are queued to the HC and then
> one sleeps until they complete. Basically the same is true
> for ECP ISA DMA, while I think there is some hackish special
> case in the tmw3 patch, it's quite ugly if you cannot sleep.

There's certainly special case code, yes. I haven't gotten around to
documenting parport_set_timeout yet, but a timeout of zero _is_ special --
it means that you should do all that you can without actually sleeping.
The worst case is in parport_wait_peripheral where we could end up
busy-waiting for 35ms.

It's needed for things like parallel printer console. I don't know if you
followed the 'non-blocking' phase of the tmw tree before it got ripped
out, or looked at Roger Schreiter's implementation, but the alternatives
start to get messy.