Re: [PARPORT] Pb with ppa? Iomega? parport?

Alain Serpette (serpette@shom.fr)
Mon, 17 May 1999 10:15:11 +0200

Le Wed, 12 May 1999, vous avez écrit :
> On Wed, 12 May 1999, Alain Serpette wrote:
>
> > I only put the line parport=0x378,7, not the line append= "what should I write
> > here please"?
>
> You want to put this:
>
> append="parport=0x378,7"
Ok, that's what I've done since.

> > There is a disk in the drive! -)).... but it is not a linux formatted
> > one.... it is a mdos formatted disk, and I suppose it is not a fat32
> > formatted one, but more probably a 16 bits one (I have to verify but I
> > am quasi sure)... Could it be a relation between the manner the disk
> > is formatted and the way ppa is invoking EPP 32 bits????
>
> It's not to do with that, no. fat32 is a filesystem, and EPP is method of
> transferring data over the parallel port. EPP '32' is a way of
> transferring 32 bits at a time.
>
> But you're not even getting as far as filesystems, because you can't even
> see a partition table. Do you see any difference when you take the disk
> out from the drive?
>
> > No, I didn't verify with 2.0 since this problem. I could do that very
> > easily...
>
> That would be good.
That's allright; I've loaded the 2.0.36 kernel, and the ppa module still works
well, no trouble with it...

When I remove ppa from /etc/conf.modules and from the RAMDISK image too,
(parport is statically integrated into the kernel),
and when I tape insmod ppa at the beginning of my session, the message is
slightly different, but the verdict is the same!

insmod ppa gives:

Detected scsi removable disk sdc at scsi2, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
SCSI device sdc: hdwr sector=512 bytes. Sectors=196608 [96 MB] [0.1 GB]
sdc: Write Protect is off
sdc: SCSI disk error: host 2 channel 0 id 6 lun 0 return code= 27010000
scsidisk I/O error : dev 08:20, sector 0
unable to read partition table

here is what I got.

lsmod gives module ppa (unused)...

There was an user here who had the same error message, but the error came from
 his sound card which was sharing the same interrupt request as the // port.
I verified the /proc/interrupts which interrupt request number 7 was not in
conflicting use.
I also removed the sound modules, but the ppa didn't work better.

If anybody has some idea....thanks
alain