Re: [PARPORT] KingByte 9520 SCSI help

Joe Hartley (jh@brainiac.com)
Wed, 19 May 1999 20:05:49 -0400 (EDT)

grant@torque.net wrote:
> > No, the chip is marked:
> > KINGBYTE
> > KB-LCCM-93X
> > KBIC
> > 9520
>
> Ok, that's an older version of the Kingbyte adapter. (The 93X is the
> interesting bit.)

A bit closer...

> Hmm. Does the adapter card also contain a Symbios/NCR 53c80e ?

Genius :) A bit more disassembly reveals an NCR 53c80 (no e).

> If so, I believe you have a "ParaSCSI" adapter. They were marketed
> in the US under the LinkSys brand. The later "ParaSCSI+" is based
> on the KBIC-951A adapter, and is now marketed by Shining Technology
> as the "SparCSI".

This particular model was marketed by Automated Systems Methodologies
as the Gator. They seem to now be defunct.

> Currently, there are no drivers for these devices. I am actually
> working on one for the later model. I can't say if it will
> happen to work with the older adapter at this stage. At any rate,
> this is not going to solve your problem any time soon.

It figures. One of these days someone's actually going to give me
appropriate, workable gear and I'm going to drop dead out of sheer
surprise!

> As we now know, that's not going to help. I think PLIP to another Linux
> box is your best option for now.

Oy - another dark alley to go down and a cable to hack :)

At any rate, thanks for the authoritative answer. At least I know where
I am (up the creek) and what I have to work with (no paddle)!