Re: [PARPORT] Newbie question....

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 06:50:12 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Hari Parameswaran wrote:

> I have been asked by my manager to checkout if the following scenario
> is possible with Linux. We want a Linux box to tap an existing
> connection to a printer and read the information that goes into the
> printer and store it locally on the machine (there is a complex
> scenario at a client site where this is needed). The parallel port on
> the Linux server supports the EPP/ECP mode. My knowledge in this
> field is pretty minimal, so I really could use some pointers at places
> where I can start looking for some information about how to go about
> doing this.

So you want Linux to pretend to be a printer, right? This isn't possible
at the moment I'm afraid, but it's not the first time that it's been asked
for.

All you really need is the right cable (LapLink perhaps? I'll have to
check the pin assignments) and a small driver that reads the data port
each time it gets an interrupt and then acks it using whichever control
line. It shouldn't be hard, given the right cable.