Re: [PARPORT] BETA test, new ppSCSI drivers

Michele Bini (mibin@tin.it)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:00:32 +0000

On Sun, Jun 13, 1999 at 01:31:40PM -0400, grant@torque.net wrote:
> At last !!!
>
> I'm happy to announce the first public BETA-test of the ppSCSI suite
> of drivers for parallel port SCSI adapters. This test does not
> yet include all the adapters on which I have been working, but it does
> contain the two for which most people have been clammering.

Cool!

After patching the sane driver I finally got my
scanner (a Phantom 336 CX, whose SCSI version
(if it exists) wasn't explicitly supported by
SANE) to scan.

There are still some unsolved issues, like
recovering the state of the scanner after cancelling
a scan, and an evident offset (whose length seems
proportional to the bit-depth of the requested image)
the but they should be related to the SANE driver.

> scanimage -d hp:/dev/sg0 --mode Color > hpscan
>
> NB: If you do this under X don't be surprised if your system freezes for
> the duration of the scan. That's the downside of parallel port devices.

Setting the 'nice' option to 2 I can scan while doing other things
without even noticing it!

Thank you again for your great work!
-Michele