[PARPORT] HP 672 DeskJet printer, HP 5100C scanner & modules

Janine Roe (mjroe@bellatlantic.net)
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:46:03 -0500

Hello,

I'm new to the world of linux and kernels and all. I've gotton my HP5100
scanner to work (for the most part) but I have a few questions that I'm hoping
someone could help me with.

1. Is there a place that one should place these modules so a user can run
modprobe? I currently have the modules in /usr/src/linux/modules and I am
unable to load them as a user. Root only.

2. I'm trying to get my printer to work which is daisy chained to the HP5100 C
scanner. I noticed in a earlier posting that you need to load lp as a module.
But how does one do that? Do you need to configure that in the kernel? And if
so, where would this be in menuconfig. Right now, I don't think I have lp or
lpr as a module? I used to be able to just lpr <file> and print. Now it does
nothing...
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm so excited that I am finally able
to get my scanner to work under linux! Thanks to the driver! :-)

--
Janine Roe