Re: [PARPORT] Re: HP Colorado 5GBe help URGENTLY needed:-)

From: James Mckenzie (os2support@theriver.com)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 22:09:48 EDT

    Laurence John Oliver wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Had some problems posting to this list - so here we go again:-)
    >
    > Running: Toshiba Laptop with Red Hat 6.2 - and have a HP Colorado 5GBe
    > external parallel port tape backup unit I *desperately* need to get
    > working (yes, I *am* a backup freak - a habit I got into in the days
    > when windoze was even *less* stable than it is today:-)
    >
    > After checking out the parport website I got some of the information I
    > needed - about loading the paride driver, epat driver and pt driver -
    > and found that by manually doing a modprobe command for all three I was
    > able to get a response from the tape drive (i.e. it started accessing
    > the tape in the drive) - this is the most success I've had thus far:-)
    >
    > When I try using 'insmod' for Paride I get the following messages:
    >
    > /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/paride.o: unresolved symbol
    > parport_enumerate_Rdcb625ab
    > /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/paride.o: unresolved symbol
    > parport_claim_R46138e04
    > /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/paride.o: unresolved symbol
    > parport_register_device_Ra78805aa
    > /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/paride.o: unresolved symbol
    > parport_unregister_device_R857406d1
    > /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/paride.o: unresolved symbol
    > parport_release_Re207d4f8
    >
    > However, there is no problem loading it using MODPROBE...
    >
    > ALSO: if I 'insmod parport' FIRST I don't get any of these error
    > messages...
    >
    > After this, I am able to 'insmod' (or modprobe) EPAT okay, then PT - at
    > which point the tape drive starts to make some nice noises that sound
    > like I've actually got somewhere...
    >
    > At this point, tail -f /var/log/messages reveals:
    >
    > laptop Kernal: paride: version 1.04 installed
    > laptop Kernal: paride: epat registered as protocol 0
    > laptop Kernal: pt: pt version 1.04, major 96
    > laptop Kernal: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2]
    > laptop Kernal: parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present
    > laptop Kernal: pt0: Sharing parport0 at 0x378
    > laptop Kernal: pt0: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip c6 at 0x378, mode 2 (8
    > bit), delay 1
    > laptop Kernal: pt0: HP COLORADO 5GBe, master, RO, blocksize 512, 2458 MB
    >
    > At this point I start thinking that I've made it - BUT, then I try to
    > use one of my backup programs (KDAT, Taper, etc.) to try and USE
    > /dev/pt0 as my backup device and nothing happens - although another tail
    > -f /var/log/messages reveals this:
    >
    > laptop Kernal: pt0: Unimplemented ioctl 0x801c6d02
    >
    > Someone on one of the lists I've been lurking on suggested that I needed
    > to actually MAKE the node '/dev/pt0' - so I tried this. Unfortunately,
    > running the 'mkd' script in the
    > /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/drivers/block/paride directory didn't work for me
    > - for each of the mknod command lines echoed to the screen I got a 'file
    > exists' error message...:-( So, the node had already been created...
    >
    > FINALLY (after modifying my PT insmode line to read:
    >
    > 'insmod pt drive0=0x378,0'

> [...]

    First: The pt driver DOES NOT support the mt command sequences.

    Second: It appears that your tape is in the "locked" mode. You need to
    check your tapes and make sure that they are "unlocked".

    Third: Get an eval copy of BRU and setup the Non-Rewinding drive
    (/dev/npt0).

    I have a HP 8Ge drive and wish that the pt driver would work with the 'mt'
    command set. Maybe it is time for me to look at the ide-tape driver, which
    supports these commands.

    James Mckenzie