Re: [PARPORT] printing with 2.2.18pre21 kernel

From: Gene Heskett (gene_heskett@iolinc.net)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 10:13:06 EST

    Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Tim Waugh;

    >On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 07:08:35PM -0500, weg@gauss.wintek.com wrote:

    >> I have encountered some difficulties in
    >> printing with recent kernels. This is after a
    >> long successful experience with 2.2.16.

    >Not a lot really changed between 2.2.16 and 2.2.18pre21,
    >parport-wise.

    >> Writing to the /dev/lp0 results in nothing.

    >Does this mean 'the write returns, but nothing happens', or 'the write
    >fails', or 'the write hangs'?

    >Is the printer plugged in _directly_ to the port? I don't think Epson
    >Stylus printers work very well if there's another device in the way
    >(no idea why).

    I think its more related to the scanner software doing an adequate job
    of cleaning up after itself than anything else Tim.

    I have a Stylus Pro plugged beyond a Colorado Primax 600p, and its no
    problem at all. I think its probaby related to the scanner driver
    cleaning up after itself, which this one seems to do quite well.

    To demo, I had forgotten the printer was busy on that port, and fired
    off the scanner to do a picture. The scanner turned on, I did 2 scans
    (one preview, one at 300 dpi). The printer trundled on till it was out
    of data and stopped, which was my reminder that _I_ was the sleeping
    dummy :).

    When the scan was done, the printer took off again and the page
    continued to print with no ill effects. The buffer filled up again and
    it never noticed when I used the program to turn the scanner back off.

    This scanner is a bit of an oddball, not to mention cheap, and 'pxscan'
    hasn't gotten beyond 0.2, but at least the port handling is clean, so
    *it can be done*.

    Cheers, Gene

    --
      Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
    	email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net