[PARPORT] ppSCSI-modules and the Sane-faq

From: Marcel Pol (mpol@gmx.net)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 18:10:38 EST

    Hello,

    At http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljm/SANE-faq.html there is a faq about Sane,
    the scanner software. I've just written a part for it, which handles
    the ppSCSI-modules, and how to set them up.
    I'd like to post it to this mailinglist, before letting it be added
    to the faq.

    There are a few questions i have though.
    There are two 2.2.15-pre patches. Are they meant for kernels 2.2.15
    and up?
    And the patch from cvs;
    ftp://people.redhat.com/twaugh/patches/patch-cvs-tmw.gz
    I could not get to that link, the connection timed out.
    Is this patch written for 2.4.0-test11? And where else can i get this?

    I put the faq-part in this mail.
    If there are any comments, i'd like to hear them.

    --
    Marcel Pol
    mpol@gmx.net

    8.1. Where can I find more information on paralel port scanners?

    Try the backend for your specific scanner.

    Some scanners do SCSI over the parallel port. See http://www.torque.net/parport/ppscsi.html and http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners.html

    8.2. My scanner does SCSI over the parallel port. How do i set this up?

    The ppscsi software is a linux kernel patch, from which you can build several modules, like the epst module for parport (not all) HP scanners or the onscsi module for parport Microtek scanners. There are different patches for different kernels-versions: For kernels up to 2.2.12: ftp://ftp.torque.net/pub/ppSCSI-0.91.patch For 2.2.13 till 2.2.14: ftp://ftp.torque.net/tim/patch-2.2.13-ppSCSI-19990712.gz For 2.2.15 and later: ftp://ftp.torque.net/tim/patch-2.2.15pre14-ppscsi1 There are a few version for 2.3 kernels, and the latest patch at this moment is ftp://people.redhat.com/twaugh/patches/patch-cvs-tmw.gz which is a cvs snapshot for 2.4.0-test11. A patch like these needs to be applied to the kernelsource in /usr/src/linux. You can copy it there and do: patch -p1 < ppSCSI-0.91.patch Then you can do make config, make menuconfig or make xconfig, whichever suits you. The best thing is to build both ppscsi and the specific module you need, as modules. Besides these modules, you also need two scsi-modules; scsi support (scsi_mod) and scsi generic support (sg). The parport modules might come in handy too, allthough it should work fine without them.

    After building the kernel and modules, installing them and rebooting, the modules should be loadable. Turn on your scanner, and load the modules. insmod scsi_mod insmod sg insmod parport insmod parport_pc insmod ppscsi insmod epst For a HP scanner. The kernel should recognize it now, which can be checked with cat /proc/scsi/scsi or with the Sane utility find-scanner

    If these tools list the scanner, then the kernel can communicate with it. After that, it's up for the backend to support the scanner.