RE: [PARPORT] 8255 in Mode 0.

From: MERRETT, David (david.merrett@baesystems.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 01:29:03 EST

    You are right - I checked an old PC board... the 3 x 8-bit ports of the PIO
    chip are usually connected to external driver ICs determining flow Dir'n,
    and complying to whatever std it is that defines this interface (1284?).
    Hence MODE 0 on 8255 (or compatible!) - even if it were possible through
    stdard linux drivers, is NOT a good idea WHEN it is used in this type of
    circuit. (if , however, the D-25-pin socket maps directly to I/O pins on the
    PIO chip, then it would , in theory, be ok - and possibly useful for anyone
    who ever wanted 24 lines of direct asynchronous I/O).

    In my case, I have a unique ISA Card PCB with 3 8255s (built early 80s),
    giving 3 x 3 x 8 bit ports. I will have to write my own driver.
    Thanks Tom.
    DAve.
    RF engineer, BAE Systems.