[PARPORT] CF reader with Shuttle/SMC EP1284-01

From: Moritz Barsnick (barsnick@gmx.net)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 09:45:25 EDT

    Hi Grant, hi list,

    I know this has been asked before (1999/2000 ;->), yet perhaps there
    are solutions available in the meantime.

    I have (access to) a Compact Flash card reader. It is named DataFab
    MDCFE-SR ( http://www.datafabusa.com/productpage/mdcfe-sr.htm ), is
    connected via the parallel port (wouldn't you have guessed), and hosts
    a chipset SMC/Shuttle EP1284-01.

    On Win95, it is presented as a SCSI device, but I assume that's a
    Windows driver issue, and I really shouldn't be looking for ppSCSI
    support. ;-)

    I found very few references at all on the Web to this chipset and
    Linux. A few questions were indeed posed on this list:
    - one where someone had even got it running, but couldn't find a
      partition
      ( http://gear.torque.net/parport/archive/current/1546.html )
    - one where Grant had answered that he hadn't looked into Compact Flash
      support all that much yet
      ( http://gear.torque.net/parport/archive/current/1281.html ).
      This was about that "special magic" required.

    I tried everything along the instruction that come with the Linux
    kernel (2.4.19-rc1-ac2 right now), i.e. Documentation/paride.txt. I
    compiled all protocol modules, inserted them (successfully) and then did
    # insmod pd verbose=1
    without any autodetect success. (I do believe EPAT or EPIA would be
    correct, either way.) I guess this reflects Grant's remark in
    http://gear.torque.net/parport/archive/current/1281.html .

    But to my astonishment, this Shuttle chipset is even mentioned in the
    kernel config (
    http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documentation/Configure.help#L1575 ):
    <QUOTE>
    Shuttle EPAT c7/c8 extension
    CONFIG_PARIDE_EPATC8
    This option enables support for the newer Shuttle EP1284 (aka c7 and
    c8) chip. You need this if you are using any recent Imation SuperDisk
    (LS-120) drive.
    </QUOTE>

    Okay, mine doesn't call itself C7 or C7, but at least the chipset is
    correct.

    Any hints? Has Grant progressed any? Or anyone else? I know these
    devices are currently being obsoleted by USB, but I'd still love some
    legacy support. :)

    Anything I can do to debug and help? (I have no VMware, sorry. DOS
    driver? Dunno.)

    Furthermore:
    Is there anything special to consider when connecting the parport
    device daisychained? I have a printer looped through the DataFab
    connector, but have it switched off when trying to access the reader
    (right now).

    Thanks in advance,
    best greetings from Germany,
    Moritz

    P.S.: The relevant hypermail archive article numbers are:
          0974, 1274, 1281, 1535, 1546, 2145, 2544, 2545, 2546
          Saves you some searching, perhaps. ;)