[PARPORT] How to Turn on EPP Mode

From: Minder, Lawrence (Lawrence.Minder@DP.AIL.com)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 12:57:22 EST

    I am running SuSE 8.1 Personal Edition, and am having a problem getting it
    to see my Epson Stylus Color 600 parallel port printer. During the boot it
    tells me that the PARPORT is using modes [PCPPP,TRISTATE] and that LP is
    using POLLING, but it does not report on/see my Epson printer. I have tried
    to code an OPTION PARPORT IO=0x378 MODES=[PCPPP,TRISTATE,EPP] in the
    /etc/modules.conf file, but am uncertain if this is even valid sytntax. No
    error is generated, but the contents of /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes
    is still [PCPPP,TRISTATE] and the Epson printer is not found/claimed.

    Are there any boot loader kernel options that I can specify, or a valid
    equivalent OPTION staement for /etc/modules.conf???

    My BIOS has the sole parallel port set to EPP mode. Red Hat 8.0 and SuSE
    9.0 both boot with the PARPORT using MODES=[PCPPP,TRISTATE,EPP] and LP using
    POLLING and BOTH are able to see and claim my Epson printer without any BOOT
    options or /etc/modules.conf PARPORT OPTIONs, which is why I suspect the
    missing EPP mode to be at the core of my problem.

    I am relatively new to Linux, so any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
    I would like to accomplish this without any re-compiles or kernel
    re-generation.

    Thank-you ... Larry Minder

    P.S. I am using uppercase characters in the above just for emphasis. In
    reality, all parameters are in lower case.