Re: [PARPORT] How to Turn on EPP Mode

From: Adam Baker (parport@baker-net.org.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 18:49:35 EST

    On Monday 27 October 2003 5:57 pm, Minder, Lawrence wrote:
    > I am running SuSE 8.1 Personal Edition, and am having a problem getting it
    > to see my Epson Stylus Color 600 parallel port printer. During the boot it
    > tells me that the PARPORT is using modes [PCPPP,TRISTATE] and that LP is
    > using POLLING, but it does not report on/see my Epson printer. I have
    > tried to code an OPTION PARPORT IO=0x378 MODES=[PCPPP,TRISTATE,EPP] in the
    > /etc/modules.conf file, but am uncertain if this is even valid sytntax. No
    > error is generated, but the contents of
    > /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes is still [PCPPP,TRISTATE] and the
    > Epson printer is not found/claimed.
    >
    > Are there any boot loader kernel options that I can specify, or a valid
    > equivalent OPTION staement for /etc/modules.conf???

    Do you know what the IO chip is on your motherboard. My Asus board has a ITE
    IT8703F-A and the only way that I could get that to recognize that the
    parallel port could operate in EPP mode was to modify the driver (to remove a
    check for an Intel ECPEPP bug) and recompile. Unfortunately that isn't
    something I'd like to recommend to a novice but it isn't too hard so maybe I
    could talk you through it and if it fixes your problem too then that suggests
    that check should probably be got rid of (looking at the archives no-one
    seems to remember why it is there).