[PARPORT] Re: problems with parallel port IRQ detection

Philip Blundell (Philip.Blundell@pobox.com)
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 00:07:52 +0000

>does anyone have a solution for this? in 2.0.x, both my palmtop PC110
>and my desktop machine have no problems using PLIP. if I boot either
>to 2.1.x (I've tried for most x>60) PLIP reports detecting IRQ 8 for
>the first port (should be 0x378/IRQ7) on both of them. trying to use
>modules for all the parallel port stuff and plip and forcing the irq
>as an option to insmod doesn't seem to work either. What useful
>information can I report to help the parallel port gurus to track this
>down?

The problem is that the ECP/EPP code is too smart about detecting IRQs. David
Campbell is probably the man to fix it. If it can't be made to work reliably
then that autodetect should be taken out.

p.