Re: [PARPORT] at boot... printer goes crazy

grant@torque.net
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 07:01:44 -0400 (EDT)

> On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Patrick Bauer wrote:
>
> >That didn't work... the printer still spewed garbage on boot... so i
> >followed Andrea's suggestion... compiling lp support as a module... so now
> >the printer is silent at boot up...
>
> OK. Just to be sure remove every parade driver from your kernel and be
> sure to remove it also from the filesystem
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^
Andrea, PARIDE is not a virus - what is this all about ?

> Compile in the kernel _only_ the parport and
> parport_pc support. Then boot with `linux emergency' and check if it will
> print garbage (and maybe send us the dmesg output after the boot).

I believe Pat already reported that this worked just fine.

> run make menuconfig and compile in the kernel also _lp_ and repeat the
> check in linux emergency and the dmesg report.
>
> lp should do nothing at boot.

And neither should PARIDE if the drivers are disabled. Without the dmesg
output, however, we don't know if that happened or not.