Re: [PARPORT] installing linux from HP-7200e or Zip

grant@torque.net
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 15:02:12 -0500 (EST)

> Hopefully Grant should also reply to your email and shed some
> light on where you can get a boot disk for RedHat which supports
> the HP 7200.

There's no off-the-shelf solution, but as of pre-2.0.36 there is a
script (jumbo) in the kernel tree that can be used to make a single
module driver for any combination of PARIDE driver and protocol.

Rumour has it that RedHat 5.2 will be based on 2.0.36.

In particular, you can make a pcd+epat driver for the 7200. The
messy part is taking apart the RedHat install disk and substituting
the (old, broken) bpcd.o module with the new driver.

What I haven't been able to learn is whether 5.2 will include the PARIDE
drivers, or if they are continuing to ship the boot floppy with the
broken bpcd driver. If it does ship with the broken driver, I'll
try to make a script to generate boot disks for all the different
PARIDE CD-ROM drivers.