Re: [PARPORT] Trouble installing PARIDE - Was: Re: ppuser

Mahesh Madhav (mjm@sanitarium.harkness.brown.edu)
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:13:21 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998 grant@torque.net wrote:

> (2) Not reading the documentation ? Please read the file
> Documentation/paride.txt in your kernel source tree.
>
> Most likely you have not removed the lp driver before attempting to load
> the PARIDE modules.

Grant, i also had the lp problem when I tried to install mine last week,
and you sent me on the right path to remove my lp driver. You mentioned
that I should read paride.txt which contains this info, but it does not.
It does not say anything about lp conflicting with pd.

It seems that a lot of people have this problem in the beginning; maybe
the documentation could reflect this by having a "common faults" sections
which includes this particular frequently seen problem.

Also, I searched for a while for a mailing list archive of linux-parport,
but could not find one. That is why I posted my question, which you
probably have seen many many times. If an archive exists, you should
document it. If there isn't, maybe one should exist.

Excuse me if I have an older version of the doc. I got it from the linux
kernel 2.0.36 tarball from kernel.org.

-mahesh