Re: [PARPORT] zipdrive again

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 4 May 1999 18:53:30 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 4 May 1999, The Eye wrote:

> then: modprobe parport_pc io=0x378,0x778 irq=auto,auto

Erk. That should read:

        modprobe parport_pc io=0x378 irq=auto

0x778 is the same port as 0x378 (just some extra registers).

> then I looked into /proc/parport. There was 2 directories there, one "0",
> and one "1". Fine untill here. I checked the files in there.

Right. The /proc/parport directory indicates that parport.o is loaded.
Subdirectories in /proc/parport mean that the low-level driver (parport_pc
in this case) has detected ports.

> file autoprobe says in both cases "unknown device, unknown vendor".

That's suspicious, but it might be an artifact of having a fake port on
top of your real one.

> file hardware says at 0: SPP,EPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2 and at 1: SPP,EPP

I guess this is actually a parport bug. Only one of them should succeed.
I'll take a look.

> btw, those ports don't show up in /proc/ioports

Yes, that's normal until the ports are actually used by something.

> when I try ppa, it gives me some more errors, including
> ppa:parport reports no device

Is that really what it said? The "reports no device" condition should
only ever happen if /proc/parport is empty.

Take a look at your BIOS setting for the parallel port. If it says
ECP+EPP, change it to something else (EPP, for instance).