pycups

This page is about the Python bindings for the CUPS API, known as pycups. It was written for use with system-config-printer, but can be put to other uses as well.

Download

Download tarball releases from the Python Package Index:

or older releases from:

Source Code

The git repository is available at GitHub.

Documentation

Documentation is produced using epydoc and hosted at the pycups PyPI page.

Bug Reporting

Report issues using the GitHub/a>.

82 Responses to “pycups”

1. […] just heard that pycups is now included in Debian unstable as python-cups.  Thanks to Otavio Salvador for packaging and […]

2. dan says:

Hey Tim,

trying to use pycups on RHEL5 but can’t even get it to build. I get the following;

[root@gbwtecsuv1008 pycups-1.9.24]# python setup.py install
    running install
    running build
    running build_ext
    building ‘cups’ extension
    gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector –param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC -fPIC -I/usr/include/python2.4 -c cupsmodule.c -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.4/cupsmodule.o
    cupsmodule.c: In function ‘cups_require’:
    cupsmodule.c:242: error: ‘VERSION’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    cupsmodule.c:242: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    cupsmodule.c:242: error: for each function it appears in.)
    cupsmodule.c:272: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘VERSION’
    error: command ‘gcc’ failed with exit status 1

Any hints?

Also, in the setup the package is referred to as “cups” rather than “pycups” which will result in an RPM being produced called cups-1.0 which isn’t what you want (I assume).

TIA

Cheers

Dan

3. tim says:

Dan: run ‘make’ to build pycups — the VERSION macro comes from the environment set up by the Makefile.

For packaging, I use ‘cups’ for the name because I want to import the extension with ‘import cups’.

4. […] about to start writing some proper API documentation for pycups, and I’ve been looking around for short-cuts. Seems like epydoc is just what I’m after, […]

5. ZOG says:

Is there any example code for pycups / python-cups?

6. tim says:

Yes, it is used extensively by system-config-printer, in particular the cupshelpers.py file.

There is also documentation for it included in the pycups source tarball: try ‘make doc’.

7. […] goodbye to back button woes couldn’t be easier… Just install pycups (from the same developer), pygtk, and the nifty little system-config-printer app found here. There is a little more doc on […]

8. Ryan says:

I went to the trac site to create a bug report, but couldn’t figure out how to create an account there. I eventually found my way here in case others want to submit a bug.

9. QLand says:

Hi,

After making the application if I run the example I get: undefined symbol: libiconv. I have libiconv 2.4.0 installed

Any idea?

10. tim says:

pycups doesn’t use the symbol ‘libiconv’ directly, however it does use ‘iconv’, ‘iconv_open’, and ‘iconv_close’. These are POSIX.1-2001 functions, so should be provided by your C library (for instance, GNU glibc provides them).

11. Robert Kajic says:

Your source does not build on Mac OS X. Here is a patch.
    Btw, there are C libraries other than glibc…

Makefile.diff
    14c14
    env LDFLAGS=-liconv CFLAGS=-DVERSION=\\\”$(VERSION)\\\” python setup.py build

cupsppd.c.diff
    25a26
    > #include
    54a56,65
    > char *
    > strndup(char *src, size_t n)
    > {
    > char *dst = malloc(n);
    > if (!dst)
    > exit(1);
    > return strncpy(dst, src, n);
    > }
    480,481c491
    file);
    if (!fgets(line, linelen, self->file))

12. tim says:

I think your patch has been broken during transit. Please submit patches in unified diff format (i.e. diff -u), preferably from ‘git format-patch’, using the trac interface or normal email.

However, for this particular case it looks like it needs an autoconf check, which means that it needs to start using autoconf.

13. Robert Kajic says:

I would prefer to email the patch but I can’t seem to find your email.
    However, the modifications I made to the Makefile regarding libiconv seem to have been futile. Python throws the following error when I try cupstree.py
    (right after running make install):

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “pycups-1.9.30/cupstree.py”, line 2, in
    import cups
    ImportError: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cups.so, 2): Symbol not found: _libiconv
    Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cups.so
    Expected in: dynamic lookup

I noticed that I was able to import cups if I launched python while standing in the source directory where the freshly build cups.so can be found. So I manually copied cups.so to /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages and now I am able to import cups regardless of where it’s started from. Indeed, running cmp on the cups.so that is created by make install and the cups.so that is created by make shows the files are not identical:

> cmp /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cups.so /Users/kajic/stuff/kek/pycups-1.9.30/cups.so
    /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cups.so /Users/kajic/stuff/kek/pycups-1.9.30/cups.so differ: char 17, line 1

How can this be?

14. Robert Kajic says:

I realize I am probably missing out on something but why isn’t it possible to add jobs using pycups? I would very much like to be able to do this and I’ve looked through the pycups documentation but I can’t find an addJob or equivalent method. Right now I am using os.execv and “lp” to add jobs but I would very much like to avoid that. Perhaps there is some other library I could use to add jobs?

15. tim says:

Robert: use cups.Connection.printFile()/printFiles() to do that.

cups.require(“1.9.39”)

16. Robert Kajic says:

Thanks again! I was using 1.9.30 🙂

Here are some notes on what I had to do to sucessfully install 1.9.45 (Max OS X 10.5.6):

In cupsppd.c I had to remove the #ifdef __SVR4 on line 510 (and 528) because otherwise gcc gave the following warning:
    cupsppd.c:557: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘getline’

and when importing cups in python I got the following error:
    >>> import cups
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “”, line 1, in
    ImportError: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cups.so, 2): Symbol not found: _getline
    Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cups.so
    Expected in: dynamic lookup

Furthermore I had to add LDFLAGS=-liconv to line 12 in the Makefile. Then after a make and make install I had to manually copy cups.so from the source directory to its install location:
    sudo cp pycups-1.9.45/cups.so /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cups.so

Indeed, as I said in a previous post, pycups-1.9.45/cups.so and pycups-1.9.45/build/lib.macosx-10.3-i386-2.6/cups.so seem to differ:
    > cmp pycups-1.9.45/cups.so pycups-1.9.45/build/lib.macosx-10.3-i386-2.6/cups.so
    pycups-1.9.45/cups.so pycups-1.9.45/build/lib.macosx-10.3-i386-2.6/cups.so differ: char 17, line 1

I hope this can be of some help to others.

17. JohnT says:

18. tim says:

JohnT: are you talking about on Mac OS X? You can use libcups directly, of course.