pycups

This page is about the Python bindings for the CUPS API, known as pycups. It was written for use with system-config-printer, but can be put to other uses as well.

Download

Download tarball releases from the Python Package Index:

or older releases from:

Source Code

The git repository is available at GitHub.

Documentation

Documentation is produced using epydoc and hosted at the pycups PyPI page.

Bug Reporting

Report issues using the GitHub/a>.

82 Responses to “pycups”

1. Gowtham says:

Thanks for pointing out these issues.
    Modified the fgets code to avoid compiler warnings and also removes the new line character that comes along with fgets.

I cleanup with the commit history to push to github earlier. I shouldn’t have done that. I overwrote my previous commits to keep the index intact. I lost some of the interim commits(No big deal!)

Heres the full commit of my changes-

2. tim says:

Thanks, merged.

3. Gowtham says:

Thanks. When are you planning to push the tar of the new version 1.9.58?

4. tim says:

I’ll probably get to it this week.

5. tim says:

macaronij: the new 1.9.58 release is now registered at PyPI and the documentation is there as well. See links in the main page, above.

6. Ladislav Hagara says:

$ gpg –verify pycups-1.9.58.tar.bz2.asc
    gpg: Signature made Tue Jul 26 13:28:58 2011 CEST using RSA key ID F4DE942C
    gpg: BAD signature from “Tim Waugh “

7. Ladislav Hagara says:

I had to update Makefile for Source Mage GNU/Linux. You changed in this version ln -sf to mv for cups.so, I had to change it back.

sed -i ‘s:mv build/lib:ln -sf build/lib:’ Makefile

Source Mage commit:

8. tim says:

GPG signature fixed: the signature I still had here on disk was the same, most likely a memory issue that was fixed in the last few weeks.

I’ve applied your other change.

9. Philippe says:

I tried posting a ticket on trac but there’s no registration page ?

Anyway, requested_attributes doesn’t seem to work in Connection.getJobs(). It will always return an empty dict. It works with getJobAttributes though. Let me know if you need more details.

10. Philippe says:

While I’m at it: your software is awesome 🙂 I added print support with full option handling to my django web app in a day of coding. Thanks a bunch!

11. tim says:

The registration is the Fedora Project registration.

What version of CUPS are you running? That might very well make the difference…

12. Philippe says:

Sorry I forgot to mention: 1.9.51-0ubuntu2
    If that’s fixed in a newer version sorry for bothering, otherwise I’ll open a ticket when I get back at the office on monday.

13. tim says:

That’s a pycups version number; what about CUPS? pycups just returns whatever CUPS tells it to.

14. Philippe says:

cups is 1.4.4-6ubuntu2.3

I’m using ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS.

15. paul says:

I seem to be missing some bits. This is on a FreeBSD 8.2 system with cups 1.5.2 installed. I’ll reinstall it in a minute and see if that clears it up. Not sure about the python bindings for avahi which I guess I also need…

Running pycups-1.9.61/setup.py -q bdist_egg –dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-QdiX77/pycups-1.9.61/egg-dist-tmp-zYalnU
    cupsmodule.c:23:23: error: cups/cups.h: No such file or directory
    cupsmodule.c:24:27: error: cups/language.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from cupsmodule.c:26:
    cupsmodule.h:25:28: error: cups/adminutil.h: No such file or directory
    cupsmodule.h:53:2: error: #error pycups requires CUPS 1.2.x
    In file included from cupsmodule.c:33:
    cupsconnection.h:24:23: error: cups/http.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from cupsmodule.c:33:
    cupsconnection.h:37: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘…’ before ‘http_t’

16. paul says:

I left a comment about building this on FreeBSD: turns out its in the ports collection there.

17. zac says:

Thank you for writing this wonderful module. It defiantly will make my time working with printer abstractions in UNIX much easier for my program.

Question though: is there any attribute or method to find what is marked as the default printer with? All I could find in the documentation about it is CUPS_PRINTER_DEFAULT, but I’m not sure where this is exposed in the actual printer attribute list.

18. tim says:

cups.Connection.getDests() returns a dict whose values each have an is_default attribute. That will reflect the user’s personal default setting.

To find out which is the default printer for a given server, examine the ‘printer-type’ attribute in the return value of cups.Connection.getPrinterAttributes(): it is a bitmap, and CUPS_PRINTER_DEFAULT is one of those bits.